Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

57. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2012, 09:56 Verno

InBlack wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 07:18:
Oh yeah, someone mentioned the "Prince of Nothing" series. I cant praise it highly enough. Really. A lot of the worldbuilding is taken from real world history, even more so than Martin's Ice and Fire but I consider that a good thing, especially given the context of the books.

I honestly consider the "Prince of Nothing" and the 20 year later sequels better books than anything George Martin wrote. People have been comparing Bakker to Martin a lot, but Martin could learn a thing or two from the younger author...especially something about pacing...

Bakker's stuff is full of geo-political claptrap and dumb shit like demon rape though. He's the most disturbingly misogynistic writer I've seen since Terry Goodkind. It's a shame because his prose is beautiful but the man cannot write a character worth a damn. Every single one is the same geo-political schemer cutout who has out loud revelations and yet is ridiculously introspective at the same time. Kellhus is the worst character I've read in ages, a Mary Sue of epic proportion, literally every man to every situation.

There's stuff I liked about it, his take on a fantasy themed middle east was intriguing for example but I struggled to finish it due to the aforementioned stuff and will never revisit him again unless I hear hes dialed down the insanity.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo