Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

92. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 18, 2012, 19:01 SpectralMeat

Creston wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 18:32:
SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 15:32:
SATA3 drives will work fine with SATA2 mobos.
For SSDs however don't worry about SATA3. If you only have SATA2 mobo that will be fine, you can not tell the difference between 2 and 3 with the SSD drives.

Errr.... Confused

The SATA3 SSDs are massively faster than the SATA2 ones? Or do you mean to get a SATA3 SSD and connect it to a SATA2 port? I don't even know if that'd work, to be honest.

But there is a pretty goshdarn big difference in speed.

Creston

What I meant was that if you have a SATA 2 motherboard and want to connect your SATA3 SSD drive it will work fine because SATA3 drives are backward compatible.
Yes there is a huge difference in speed between SATA2 and 3 but with the SSD drives you will not notice any real world speed difference unless you are transferring large 50-100Gb files back and forth all the time.
Here is a good article on that topic: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sata-6gbps-performance-sata-3gbps,3110.html

Steam: SpectralMeat

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo