Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

58. Re: Op Ed Dec 16, 2012, 08:48 NewMaxx

wtf_man wrote on Dec 15, 2012, 17:30:
At least Zenimax was smart enough to only use the Hero Engine as a "prototype tool", while building their own engine. - Not that I have high expectations for TES Online either... but at least they won't be using the same shitty engine Bioware did.

Considering what they did with Gamebryo (including with Skyrim, despite everybody believing that the engine isn't derived from it), I'd say you were on the right track. They are experts at tailoring an engine to their needs in a way that defies the meaning; they make it their own. So my hopes are indeed a bit higher, although I think it's reasonable to suggest that The Elder Scrolls Online will be a generational step beyond GW2 and will by no means be revolutionary.

Enough about that: SWToR's F2P is pretty insulting. It's difficult to believe they could have handled it worse than they did, actually. I don't think it's a bad game, and I think the move to F2P was a wise one (really, the era of big subs is at an end), but there are far better ways to do it. If I were teaching a class for MMO developers on how NOT to launch and progress an online game, SWToR would be the first case presented.

To complain about big names and big money in Kickstarter is just crass; you can't start excluding projects for every little thing, or you will end up killing the benefits of the system. Not that discussion shouldn't take place, and that changes are out of the questions, but these ranting blog posts are getting out of control. Perhaps there should be separate tiers in Kickstarter, sure, but to have any of it determined by forces outside of the player-investors (including the rich, project-backing ones) is sheer folly.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo