Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

41. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2012, 23:04 Creston

Quboid wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 21:20:
That list means virtually nothing. The first entry is exactly what I was talking about. Most of the rest relate to PvZ, which I acknowledged was an exception.

The first entry is exactly what everyone is thinking when they see EA forcing Popcap to make a AAA title, when that has NEVER been what they do. In fact, they need to hire extra people to be able to do it, because nobody there has any kind of experience with making AAA titles. So that first entry is spot on.

And saying that list is invalid is just stupid, Quboid. In five minutes, he find a large subset of people raving about Popcap. Had he gone further back than 2009, you'd find the same comments around the time the original bejeweled came out, when rocket mania came out (though most of them probably were mine), when bespelled came out, when peggle came out, etc.

That said, searching back a bit more there is less negativity towards PopCap that I'd thought, I will give you that. There was hostility to casual gaming at a time when PopCap was the biggest player so I believe my point stands. It would be like claiming you hate coffee shop chains but not Starbucks, they're alright - it doesn't work like that, you can't hate a concept but like the biggest purveyor. PopCap weren't as unpopular as I'd remembered, just everything they stood for.

That's a giant straw man you're building, and you're kicking it hard. It also fails as an analogy, but I don't really have any desire to spend ten paragraphs pointing out why.

It's perfectly fine for someone to say Zynga sucks and Popcap rocks.

Popcap makes actual games, rather than stupid graphical real-money skinner boxes. In most cases they take an existing idea an build a terrifyingly addictive game with it. All Zynga does is make the same skinner box over and over again.

Do they both make casual games? Yes. But in the hierarchy of casual games, Popcap is just skating around the edges, whereas Zynga is the absolute king of trivial, nonsensical click fests.

This raises another point. If PopCap are so great, why are people so upset about them expanding and getting a hugely higher budget? Shouldn't you guys be delighted, excitedly anticipating one of your favourite studios getting the chance to dig their skilled little teeth into something bigger. Shouldn't you be praising EA for backing this studio?

That's like saying "Why are you so upset that they are asking Justin Bieber to compose a classical symphony?"

Popcap makes simple-yet-addictive games. They DON'T MAKE AAA games. There is likely nobody in that studio that knows how to make one. And so while EA is forcing them to make a AAA console title (because apparently Popcap's 200 million + sales isn't good enough for EA), they are not making the next PvZ. Or at least they aren't devoting their entire studio to it, which they should be, as that's what they are good at, and that's what people love them for.

Creston

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo