Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

60. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 10, 2012, 10:24 PHJF

And nothing about this makes me think Valve is developing a locked-down console equivalent.

Newell said he's expecting a lot of different companies to release these types of packages—"We'll do it but we also think other people will as well,"

It sounds like Valve is making an Apple TV or Slingbox-like device, or rather a more robust version of the same theme. A media device explicitly for Steam, and Gaben wants other companies' devices to feature "Steam compatible" on the box same as current devices market themselves as "Netflix and Hulu-ready". And really as more people migrate their home computer usage to tablets, a device like this is pretty much necessary (then again, many people already have consoles doing just this). You can't readily use a tablet as a living room media center.

But the problem is where to draw the line between Steam box and PC, and how Valve can manage to get the hardware required for sufficiently smooth gaming while keeping cost down.

Actually now that I think about it, this would be a fine opportunity for a cooperative effort with AMD. AMD's Trinity just released and is the first realistically capable CPU/GPU chipset. While it obviously doesn't compete with discreet graphics, it blows Intel's integrated GPU out of the water.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo