Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

35. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed Dec 7, 2012, 23:22 Prez

Jerykk wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 23:13:

Can't really agree with you here. Level scripting is almost always blatantly obvious, especially in stealth games where you spend a lot of time observing NPC behavior. Bioshock and Infinite aren't stealth games but you do spend some time observing enemies before taking action.

Jerykk doesn't agree with me? Gee whirlickers, what a shock!

Seriously though, I guess it could depend on how much attention you actively pay to such things. When I'm playing a game and enjoying it, the absolute last things I think of are what others seems to dwell on to the exclusion of almost everything else. When I am engrossed in a fun game I never, ever catch myself thinking "this guard's behavior looks scripted" or "this AI is too predictable", or even "these textures look low res". In truth, more often than not I am grateful that the AI is not Einstein-level smart or the scripting isn't 100% believable and realistic. If every guard in games did exactly what military-trained sentries do when on guard duty perfectly then stealth games would become impossible for me and be zero fun. In essence, I want flawed, predictable behavior; I want poor, dumb AI. Otherwise the game loses its fun to all but the masochistic challenge seekers. That's the way I see it anyway. The perfect scripting or perfect AI is not one that makes the NPC's behavior impeccable and brilliant; it's one that makes the game fun to play, and they are nowhere near the same thing.

I love that the guards in Deus Ex were so blind and stupid - it made the game infinitely more enjoyable to me. If you need to play against opponents who are genius level or indistinguishable from humans I always thought that what competitive multiplayer games are for. One of the Splinter Cell games had a stealth competitive mode, (which I absolutely hated), and there was that Thief-like Unreal Tournament 2k4 mod that let players play guards versus thieves, also no fun. Too damn hard to feel like anything but a bumbling idiot and not a master thief. I can feel inadequate and incompetent enough in real life without being made to feel that way in games too.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2012, 23:33.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo