Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

24. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 6, 2012, 09:18 wtf_man

Hellbinder wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 00:54:
I really don't get it. I like the metro and I like the modern yet classic lines of the new look windows 8 has. reminds me of my old Amiga days. Mixing old and new is not a bad thing. Navigation under metro is far better and it does not feel like a phone or console.

The task manager is FAR superior to windows 7 as are all the progress indicators I have seen so far. I also like the pointer and navigation layout in file explorer. wireless seems quicker to connect and more stable.. not to mention easier to use.

And did I fail to mention again that this thing is FAST. Everything is much faster with windows 8 on the same hardware I was using with windows 7. memory management, screen management, application switching, file copying.. there is literally not a single negative or weak point I have seen yet.

No option to turn off the tile interface, if you don't like it, is it's biggest weak point. You may like it... I'm guessing most desktop users do not.

As for the rest of the theming engine... again... you may like it... I think it's outright fugly and a step backwards.

Nobody gives a shit about the task manager. Do you stare at it all day or something? If you really want to know what is going on in your machine you are going to fire up Sysinternals Process Explorer ( a deep task investigative tool) or Process Monitor (basically an OS sniffer).

Ribbon on Explorer? I'm indifferent to that feature.
Wireless easier to use??? How the fuck is it not easy to use in Win7?
Other than booting since it's not really fully shutting down... the speed you claim is subjective at best. Benchmarks do not show a sizable improvement.

The plain fact is... Microsoft trying to FORCE the users in a totally new platform (metro apps), wall it off with their own mandatory app store, treat windows desktop thick applications like the new 'red-headed-step-child'... what's not to get?

It turns a lot of people off.

I'm not paying for an OS, supporting Microsoft, and giving them a false indication of "good sales".... then going out and FIXING what should have been OPTIONAL in the first place. I vote with my wallet.

Some of you act like people that don't like Windows 8 are so "tech backwards". Tell me... do you keep going back to a restaurant where you don't like the food? If one doesn't like it... they really don't need a technical reason not to like it. It boils down to personal preference as a consumer. I didn't like WinME nor Vista neither... for different reasons... and I didn't buy them. Why the hell would I start buying an OS I don't like, now? (And yes I've had it on test machines at work, so I have plenty of experience with it)

My whole point?
You aren't going to convince me that it's the greatest thing since sliced bread... and I'm not going to convince you that it's a total piece of shit.

That's all you need "to get".

This comment was edited on Dec 6, 2012, 09:30.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo