Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

32. Re: Black Ops II Sells $1B in 15 Days Dec 5, 2012, 14:11 ViRGE

Darks wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 10:37:
Dev wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 10:29:
The box office record set for feature films in 2009 by "Avatar" was $1 billion in 17 days

Jeez. Better than the best selling movie. Plus the movie probably cost much more to produce.

Yea, well Avatar didnít cost you an arm and leg to walk into the theater either. You canít compare apples to oranges here guys.
Video games are also incredibly frontloaded. Most of the sales happen in the first days if not weeks (thanks to pre-orders), which is why games are almost always failures if they don't sell at least 100K copies in the first week. With the exception of a handful of games, the long tail basically does not exist in this industry.

Movies on the other hand have a very long tail. They're actually capacity constrained at the beginning (only so many seats), followed by a number of weeks of still pulling in money from additional viewings, second run theaters, etc. Then there's the international release, PPV, and DVD/Blu-Ray sales.

Games will always be the "first to $X", that's the nature of the industry. Unless sales of video games as a whole greatly increase however, the highest grossing movies are still safe from video games for the time being. The Avengers for example has a worldwide ticket take of $1.5B, plus whatever the PPV and DVD/Blu-Ray sales did.

Anyhow, I'm happy to see video games as an industry doing so well. However I'm disappointed that the best selling game of the year is Call of Duty. It wouldn't be so bad, if not for the fact that CoD is such a mediocre game. Even within the realm of FPSes, there are better FPSes out there than this.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo