Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

6. Re: The Hidden Secrets Released For AC3 Season Pass Dec 5, 2012, 09:32 Creston

peteham wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 09:18:
Been playing this game for a couple of weeks now, and boy is it a mixed bag. Having a serious love/hate relationship with it. Loving the world and atmosphere, it's top-notch stuff. But the core game mechanics can be truly rage-inducing. They spent all this effort building a new engine, but not one iota of effort went towards improving the controls and gameplay-issues that have been with the series since day one. Now actually made worse by more "stuff" in the world. And chimneys. Damn chimneys!

Hell, you basically can't die/fail in this game, except when the game decides to *bleep* you with its horrendously inaccurate controls:

- Stay within distance of target! <Connor runs up a wall and grabs on to a windowsill, promising to never ever let go> N..NO! GET OFF! <Connor reluctantly lets go of windowsill but grabs onto the one directly below instead> *DESYNCHRONIZED*
- Follow Haytham across the rooftops <Connor jumps completely perpendicular to where you wanted to go and falls to his death> *DESYNCHRONIZED*
- Pickpocket target without being detected: Loot! Loot you damn imbecile, loot! NO NOT THE PASSER-BY! THE YELLOW GUY! *DETECTED* *DESYNCHRONIZED*
- Don't fall in the wat... NO! NOT THAT WAY! *splash* *DESYNCHRONIZED*

The list goes on...

Honorary mentions: The trading interface. Did they actively *try* to make it suck? After forcing myself to go through the chore of sending a whopping two naval convoys, I was rewarded with a box saying I was in the top 10% world-wide for convoy-earnings. Apparently, the remaining 90% of players had the brains to ignore the trading-screen completely. Currently planning my future lobotomy.

100% truth. I spent all that effort to upgrade my craftsmen, only to realize that it really doesn't give you much except for some upgraded consumables capacity (which is unneccessary: I'd never been without bullets or anything of the kind when I had few of them. Now I have 40 bullets. Yay? Also, the double holster doesn't even work.)

I'd read somewhere that if you sold bear skins via naval convoy to the caribbean, they'd fetch 1500$ a piece. So I go through all the effort of getting a naval convoy, and send 27 skins to the Caribbean, and get a grand total of 1300$. I'm guessing someone didn't know the difference between total value and value per skin. It's actually more profitable to just sell skins to a local merchant.

I have no clue wtf the trading is supposed to achieve. It brings in such meager amounts of cash (buy 10 gold for 150$, then sell it for 170$! PROOOFFFIIITT... ?) that it's just trivial compared to the prices you have to pay for shit, and robbing Templar caravans and opening all the chests give you enough cash to buy pretty much everything you need anyway. I guess it's there to help you complete your weapon selection, but even then sending assassins on a mission somewhere is really more profitable.

I think my biggest hatred of the game is the fucking retarded secondary mission objectives. "Don't bump into anyone in the street, and don't tackle anybody!" while you're chasing some guy who you have to TACKLE.

"Don't touch the ground!" On a mission where you're on horse and have to kill five other guys on horses. Wouldn't be such a bad deal, if 3 of them weren't together and will shoot YOUR horse as soon as they see you. So I figured I'd be smart, and just poison dart all three of them. Oh no, sorry. Poison darts don't work on people who are riding a horse! Why not? Who knows. Probably because the devs forgot to fucking think about that.

I've actually had enough of the game and am just rushing to the end now. I love the engine and the setting; the frontier and the two towns are awesome; I love the homestead and expanding it, because it starts to look REALLY nice after awhile, but eventually the irritations in the game just started to grate on me.

Creston

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo