Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

59. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 4, 2012, 23:45 Respen

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 20:58:
We've all been there and it does suck, so we feel for you.

If you don't mind:

Why would you worry about a ghost image vs clean? It's an exact copy of a working system, all one's and zero's and you have an option to copy sectors if you want an exact image how it's laid out. This is a very standard, mature method.

You can have different saves, one could be a clean load with just the updates complete and basic core software you always want installed period. I do that anytime I get a new pc up. In that case it's a 45 min recovery and you are in a great clean state, save hours.

Or save your system state weekly and keep 2 copies just in case. With computers for me it's one moment everything is good and the next moment something went to hell badly, typically a hard drive crash. Now in 45 minutes you can be restored almost back to exactly where you were at, saving tons of hours and things you would forget about. This is better then cooking with gas.

I've done it, the company I worked for that is how they deploy units, I didn't know there was a downside to be honest.

You probably know all of this, but I like to put it out there regularly because that to me is how to backup for any user.

Good to hear the NVidia forums are back up, they were down for a looooong time.

The NVidia forums are different and less active than I remember, but I agree, it's great that they are up.

I don't keep a backup image because I haven't had great luck with them. I used to with windows 7's image feature... but I never felt confident enough that the image was recent enough. I change things up so much that I just want to know exactly how I was set up, and reverting to a backup would leave me wondering which drivers were current, which software was at what state... etc etc. I also keep about 200-350 gigs of games on a system and that makes for a major backup time (this is also the bulk of my programs, so if I skip this part of the backup, there is almost no point.) I'm a control freak and I've been doing Windows installs this way for 15 years, so I'll give you that part of it might just be a stubborn OCD habit.

I can do a fresh install and have everything done and configured in about an hour and 20 minutes. Of course it'll take time to download my steam library and such, but I have it up pretty fast. I keep most of my files on a secondary drive anyway... documents, pictures, downloads all user files. These I occasionally backup to a networked drive.

EDIT: Also, the fix described below did not work.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo