Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

47. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 4, 2012, 10:08 Verno

PHJF wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 10:00:
I would just love to fucking see a driver-level or OS-level option to toggle between multi monitors on an app specific basis. I shouldn't have to change my TV to my primary screen to get a game to grab it.

Very rarely a game comes along with a .ini value that does just this.

That's really what is needed but unfortunately multi-monitor support has always been kludgey in most operating systems. There are some programs that sort of let you do this (UltraMon) but they inevitably break down when Windows changes something behind the scenes and screws up the monitor profile.

Windows should just treat display devices like it does audio devices, with an enabled and disabled state so that you can still manage them and retain identities regardless of where they are physically connected, powered on/off and etc.

I deliberately avoided getting into technicalities but as I said, Valve could simply switch the primary display when launching Big Picture mode and restore it on exit. In fact that functionality should be built into Steam regardless of Big Picture mode. I'm sure there's probably a smarter way to do it but I don't know enough technical details to suggest what that may be.

It can't though and for many reasons as discussed. There are a lot of things I want in Steam but I can't just ignore the technical realities. Steam has no way of knowing which displays are intended to be primary and those identities can change regardless. For example Windows sometimes decides to make my HDTV the primary monitor if its turned on and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the driver software packages from AMD/Nvidia can make this "stick" and other times they can't, it's difficult to make assumptions about multi-monitor stuff.

For your specific situation you could easily script it with Eventghost or AHK and using displayswitch.exe, you can flip between them by using the /internal and /external flags. Enable Big Picture, flip displays, launch game from Big Picture interface. In fact that's what I would suggest you do because I don't think Steam getting monitor management is very likely.

This comment was edited on Dec 4, 2012, 10:16.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo