Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

35. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 15:28 WaltC

Orogogus wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 13:08:
Darks wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 10:09:
DrEvil wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 01:16:
Pete wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 00:24:
Oh wow, that intro cinematic is cringe worthy.

For those wanting to see the original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoSqDtky0pU

Holy cow, that new intro looks horrid. I canít believe they actually thought that was release worthy. Makes me wonder what kind of real enhancements are in this game after watching that travesty.

It's not good, but I do think the original intro (as linked by DrEvil) is worse, even allowing for the era. I can't imagine what process events led to that helmet making it into the shipping product.

I think it pays to remember that BG1 was a 2d game, and the whole game ran on 2d static screens and 2d animations.

This supposedly "enhanced" intro is the most egregious mistake made in this effort that I have so far seen. That's the whole problem, really, in a nutshell. I figured enhanced to mean, "Exactly like the original classic, only better technically," in terms of OS compatibility, resolution and texture use, etc. Adding new content to an enhanced version of an original classic is fine, too, providing two things happen:

1) New content is added to the original as opposed to replacing it
2) No editing of the original content takes place--no chopped lines, substituted lines, etc.

If they start adding new content in addition to selectively removing original content then we have moved from "enhancement" to "editing" and I think that's going to cause them some problems. You like the new intro better than the old one--which I find remarkable. It seems to me your chief objection to the original intro was the guy's helmet--which I agree has always looked dorky...;) Nevertheless, that exact helmet is available in the original game, which is why they used it, imo. Some people have always disliked the way the game itself renders helmets and so a mod was developed that allowed the player to remove all of the helmet animations if desired.

The intro, instead of coming off as "enhanced," comes off as chopped up and amateurishly altered. The guy's face as it appears prior to him being thrown from the roof looks exactly like it was put there through a cut & paste editing job--which it probably was...;) You should carefully watch both new and old intros a couple of times back to back--because if you do I do not see how you can miss that the "enhanced" version runs in choppy fashion (while not choppy itself), whereas the original flows pretty well. I much prefer the original intro.

If this is the way in which they have approached the entire project then I think they are going to have some fairly serious problems to weed through. I think they'd have done much better to attempt a "Remastered" version of the original instead of an "Enhanced" version in which a lot of editing is obvious. It'll be interesting to read some reviews.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo