Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

41. Re: PlanetSide 2 Bans All Client Mods Nov 28, 2012, 21:57 Trevellian

Prez wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 19:58:
Help me out here - I think I understand the basics of 'ping' but I may be oversimplifying it. A ping of 250 is actually 250 milliseconds, or one full quarter of a second. In other words, as I understand it, with that ping you would have to conceivably be aiming where your opponent will be in a quarter second from when you fire. Is that correct? A bit of a noob question I know but being a singleplayer gamer my whole life I have never really paid much attention to multiplayer idioms. Never really paid much attention to networking at all until only recently.

Never played Quake online back in the day? Remember how there were LPB and HPB servers? It was because at that time T1 lines were the big thing for hosting servers at colleges. So guys with 0-5 pings were on servers crushing people with normal 56k connections who had ~200 pings. Thus became HPB (High Ping Bastard) servers for the 56k modem players and LPB (Low Ping Bastard) servers for the people playing on college networks etc. LPB servers even had it set so if you went over like a 100 ping it would auto kick you in some cases even. The difference and advantage between a 50> ping like I normally get with my fiber optics and the 250 ping he is getting from Australia is astronomical especially since the shooting is twitch based. The gameplay in Planetside 1 very well may have been passible for him even with a 250 ping as the shooting was less twitch based and more just... 1 huge hitbox with a healthbar, than PS2 which has headshots and a faster TTK.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo