Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

5. Re: Human body.. Nov 28, 2012, 01:33 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 23:42:
What comes out, must come in.

You are replacing electricity with inefficient food energy conversion. So someone please fire these researchers. The last thing we need is "energy" food that we have to eat just to keep our heart beating or smart-phone working. I mean, I can't be the only one who has seen enough sci-fi to know why this is a bad bad bad extremely bad super mega bad idea.. right?

You're right that electric generation is a more efficient way to charge your devices. For example, much electricity is produced using natural gas turbines which operate at inefficiencies over 50%. Even with some slight losses due to transporting the electricity, you're burning 2 cals of gas to produce 1 cal of electricity. Modern agricultural techniques spend about 10 cals of fossil fuel on average to produce 1 cal of food. So electricity is definitely more efficient.

However, human beings don't sit around minimizing calorie usage all day. We go to work, go shopping, visit friends, etc. Not only that, but exercise has all sorts of benefits: increased mental acuity, strengthened immune system, denser bones, improved mood, etc. So we should be exercising daily. As long as we are in motion, it's extremely convenient to use that motion to simultaneously charge our phones, or pacemaker, or whatever. And even if that involves toting around a 2 pound piezoelectric generator to charge our tablet, that extra weight just means better exercise.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo