Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

66. Re: Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs? Nov 27, 2012, 15:46 wtf_man

Cutter wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 15:31:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 14:28:
But honestly, when was the last time anyone built a gaming rig and then decided "I want to upgrade just the cpu?"

All the effing time. When I build a new rig I save money on the CPU, RAM and vid card. I buy the best mobo I can precisely for longevity sake so that in a couple of years when all those top end CPUs/RAM/Vid Card have come down to a reasonable price I buy them and install them. That's how you do it.

I kind of see both sides to this.

I'm still running an LGA-775 Core 2 Duo.
Yes, I upgraded the CPU from an E6600 to an E8600.
It's still plenty fast, although there are a couple of games that could use another core.

So, for the next rig... I'm not sure I'd need a motherboard that let's me change the CPU, since any modern / decent quad core CPU should be plenty for the lifespan of the motherboard in question for gaming.

At the same time... I'd also like to have the choice of not having to upgrade both the motherboard and CPU at once.

Building gaming rigs aren't like they used to be. There's no real quantum leap in performance anymore, and going top-end parts / overclocking / multiple-gpu doesn't yeild enough performance advantage to be worth the money, IMO. I mean an i5 2500k or 3570k plus a $250 - $300 video card has been more than enough for 1080p in most games for years. (Thanks to consoles holding back the game development). Now Mobile gaming will probably keep it held back even longer.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo