Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

61. Re: Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs? Nov 27, 2012, 15:24 Slick

Topevoli wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 13:23:
I also agree that it is unlikely to be the ONLY option but I'm sure it makes sense for reasons other than making everyone upset:

1. Chip placement. The actual processor is only a fraction the size of the "Chip" that we have in socekted boards. I don't think they will be taking an LGA socketed chip and soldering it down. More likely the CPU will be directly on the Mainboard along with all the other vital components.

2. Better architecture. I will never claim to be an engineer but it seems like having the CPU on a socketed board just creates unnecessary layers between components. In an age where Moore's Law is being challenged, every bit helps.

3. For the masses. As much as we like to think we are the majority. 95% of Intel's market either buys OEM or would prefer as simple an upgrade path as possible. Granted enthusiast boards and CPU's may have the highest profit margin, but in terms over overall revenue and profit, we barely make a dent.

4. Cost. It seems like the Bill of Materials would be much smaller if there was no Socket, chip and the 100's of pins that connect the CPU. Soldered pins could be made smaller and much less likely to be damaged. When you're producing these parts in the millions, every penny counts.

yeah, see this was exactly what i was saying. i'm not an engineer either, but i can at least think in engineering terms that having more redundant layers between your systems isn't a good thing.

think of it this way, what if the "norm" was to be able to pick and choose exactly which brand/size/speed of memory to put on your graphics card, then some awful greedy corporation figured out that if you make a standard, and solder 1 kind of RAM directly onto this one kind of videocard, that you can actually attain better results, and the costs are LESS.

everyone posting here saying stuff like: enjoy your locked down pc, have fun paying a 75% premium, one guy even said that intel will be FORCING him to buy overpriced garbage... this is all conjecture! none of you know anything! this is all heresay! this is the problem with a 24 hour news cycle, in the absence of any real news all we can do is stab in the dark, so it's best to leave all conjecture at the door.

You've been slicked. Wash up. -nin

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo