Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

45. Re: Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs? Nov 27, 2012, 13:34 WaltC

If Intel doesn't want to also remove expansion buses from the equation, too, then this hardly makes sense...;) The only thing surface-mounting the cpu while leaving multiple PCI/e expansion slots open could do for Intel is cost it business. I think someone here has something mixed up--going back to surface-mounted cpus is Back to the Future circa 1988 when the only way to upgrade the cpu was to buy a new motherboard.

If the rumor is true, however, then AMD will get a real shot in the arm--which is but another reason I doubt there's any truth to it.

But I think this kind of rumor serves an excellent purpose in letting people see where Intel would like to take the PC in the absence of any cpu competition. Intel would love to close it down and run every other competitor out of town on a rail. Then we'd all have to pay what Intel wanted to charge for the products Intel preferred to make for its own convenience and profit. Ugh. I'm planning my next AMD purchase even now.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo