Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2012, 22:34 jimnms

Sepharo wrote on Nov 24, 2012, 17:38:
Anyone here use Google Docs(Drive) exclusively?

My parents need a new device for occasional word processing and spreadsheets and they also want something near the couch for casual internet browsing and Facebook. My mom has been considering the Surface but the price for what you get... I've told her to hold off. She probably expects me to get her a tablet for Christmas, I'm thinking either Nexus 7 or 10.

So Nexus 7 or 10 for the couch and trips.
And either a new laptop or hand-me-down desktop from me for the desk.

Uh, rambling aside, and back to my original question... Do you guys think Google Docs is a sufficient replacement for very occasional home office needs for someone who's only previously used Office?

Have you considered LibreOffice? I don't need to use a word processor that often, but I do use spreadsheets for a few things. I use LibreOffice, and only install the word processor and spreadsheet components. It has no problem opening MS Word docs, but I have had it mangle older MS Excel spreadsheets.

I also use Google Docs, but mainly to backup stuff. It's nice because it supports the open document format and converts it right to a Google doc so it can be edited in Google Docs and exported back to an open document for the rare occasion I need to edit something when I'm not using my desktop. I could probably just use Google Docs exclusively, but I still like to have stuff physically on my system.

One advantage I can see to using Google Docs is it removes the need to download and install updates. Depending on their experience with computers, a potential down side to it is that they'll need to get used to using it in a browser and realize that it's not a program they launch from a shortcut on the desktop or start menu.

Also Google Docs never seems to remember me. I can log in to Google Docs, but after I close the browser, it forgets me the next time I open the browser again. Even though every Google site and YouTube has me logged in, when I got to Google Docs I have to log in every time. Storing their username and password in the browser would fix that though.

Steam Profile

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo