Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

56. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Day Four Nov 25, 2012, 17:07 Dev

Prez wrote on Nov 25, 2012, 11:01:
I have a separate debit card with its own separate bank account for online purchases. I never keep more than 200-300 bucks in it at any given time, which pretty much limits the damage from it getting compromised. Admittedly I still use a debit card (entirely separate account) for real world brick and mortar purchases, but I really don't feel like I am taking much of a chance. Shit happens, sure. Which is why I have a money market account I can write checks with in the event of a crisis.

I like the credit card idea but I got into a whole lot of trouble with credit cards back in my youth and it took me 15 years to bail myself out of it, so I am forever wary of using one. I own one but I only ever use it once a year to go on our annual road trip up north.
Sounds like you are doing the smart thing and planning for the unexpected. Keeping separate accounts, and being able to use the moneymarket cheks even if both accounts get compromised.

Although, using a debit card at B&M stores isn't entirely safe either, as seen by how those ppl hacked the swipe readers at Barns & Nobles (presumably a hardware hack, which means the employees must have been blind).
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Nov 25, 2012, 12:08:
Most CCs offer some sort of fraud protection anyway.
As a side note, CCs MUST offer protection under federal law. I believe the maximum amount you can be responsible for under federal law is something like $50 or $75. But the vast majority of cards I've seen also even cover that (they can afford it, since Visa takes 3%-5% to the merchants on every purchase, and on fraud usually does a chargeback anyway to the merchant so they don't have to pay).

I believe debit cards are similar, but its much harder to get banks to pay you back, since they are out the money. Plus there could be overdraft fees which banks hate to refund and bills bouncing, etc.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo