Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

37. Re: Op Ed Nov 25, 2012, 08:16 Bhruic

Equating advertising with naming planets is just odd. The reason people don't like ads in games is because the ads are trying to sell us something. When playing games for entertainment, we don't want to be sold at - we get enough of that everywhere else. Having a planet named after someone isn't trying to sell us anything.

Really, the idea that it "compromises" the game design in any sense is something I don't understand. How is the look of an NPC or the name of a planet anything to do with the actual design of the game? It's nothing but an aesthetics choice.

As for getting better weapons/outfits, yes, I dislike taking that approach. There's nothing wrong with giving people cosmetic bonuses, but when they start getting practical ones, that can be annoying - especially in games with multiplayer. It's not a trend that I'd like to see continue.

What will be interesting is if corporations start taking advantage of some of these offers. For example, if you get the option to name a planet in Elite, why couldn't we end up with planet Intel, thanks to a $5,000 pledge? That'd be the point where I'd start to have a problem, as it would be blurring the line with advertisement.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo