Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

20. Re: Mirror's Edge 2 in Development Nov 21, 2012, 15:32 Flatline

noman wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 14:46:
Just what the world needed, another first person game with platforming. Innovation this game is not.

Mirror's Edge is an amazing game, and very inventive in how it makes 'running away' such an exciting part of gameplay. It's also the only game other than racers, where building a momentum is integral to the gameplay. I have been going through it a second time these days, on hard difficulty, and without shooting a gun in the entire length of the game.

Ducking and weaving through obstacles, knocking enemies out unconscious running at full speed while bullets fly past you, never gets boring and the mouse/keyboard controls work perfectly fine. It's also refreshing to see that the game isn't streamlined to the point where you just head in a general direction with a button pressed and where the games makes all the moves for you. Traversing the obstacles at top speed require precise moves and timing.

I hope Mirror's Edge 2 will build on its predecessor.

It was good, but it needed some design tweaking. On one hand, rolling evoked some motion sickness in me (not much, but it was a puke-machine for some other folks), and I might actually try to do a blur/depth of field effect or something so that while you still get the concept of motion, the entire world isn't crystal clear with your eyes trying to juxtapose that movement with your stationary inner ear.

That's an easy fix though.

What I'd *really* like to see is less emphasis on jumping/hanging puzzles (bear with me a moment) and more emphasis on movement/momentum puzzles. The jumping puzzles sucked the soul out of the game for me and brought was was a beautiful flow of kinetics down to a screeching halt. I have no problem with jumping as part of a momentum puzzle, but some of the jumping puzzles resulted in trips to jagged-rock junction (or in this case lonely cement alley), which encouraged you to slow down and look and time things way more carefully instead of *just going*.

I'd like to see maps with more open gameplay/free running options/routes than the corridors you basically were constrained to.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo