Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

30. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 18, 2012, 11:30 HorrorScope

Dades wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 15:01:
MajorD wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 14:32:
This is a real shame.

I have heard & read more stories of business having to shutdown due to union strikes. So, in the middle of a recession, with unemployment at an all time high, they'll go on strike for more money and better benefits, which the companies simply can not afford as it is, because they are barely sustaining in the current state of the economy, and will eventually lead to the companies having to shutdown their operations. So what have they gained? //Shakes headů.

Unions 'might' still have their place in various sectors, but definitely not all anymore. In this day and age they aren't as isolated as they once were, and have definitely become more volatile.

That's what happens with some unions but many corporations know that public apathy towards unions is at an all time high and use that to their advantage. That's not what happened to Hostess anyway, they asked the unions to take a third major concession in 5 years and many of the workers voted against it because they could not afford to take another pay cut. These guys were not auto workers without a high school education making 80k, demanding raises.

There are a lot of markets that have working conditions that practically require unions to avoid corporate abuse but thanks to global trade many companies know they can get chinese workers to do it without that concern.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

Yeah Hostess filed for bankruptcy protection twice int the last decade, this was coming. But face it they really make garbage anyway and buyers overall are much smarter today then yesteryear on what these high sugar-carb bombs do and it adds up. Sure it was tasty garbage, but being in the doughnut business is not a great thing to be in right now.

But more on point, it is very very hard to take pay cuts, it has a terrible ripple affect. You budget just like companies and when you are making less and then asked again to make even less yet. Things start breaking and what do you do? Go into a bunker mode, spending less, which is the spiral, Hostess and everyone else sells less and less. Continue to cut the middle class consumer and will buy less.

Sometimes to me to fix things, you just need to circulate a bit more money, consumers will spend and that is what makes it all work. Not tighten up, loosen up.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo