Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

122. Re: Croteam on Windows 8 Issues Nov 18, 2012, 08:27 Soulburner

I like Windows 8 and I'm not a new poster. Also, I've been visiting Bluesnews daily since... I don't know, 2001?

Windows 8 has some very nice improvements on the desktop. The ribbon in explorer is surprisingly useful, the new file copy dialogs are a great improvement. Under-the-hood improvements in Win8 are also very good. The system feels a lot more responsive than Win7. The "Metro" interface is also a nice thing - you just have to get used to it. And once you do, it makes sense.

I remember Windows 7 not being such a success we are made to believe today. I recall people posting on forums how stupid and useless the new taskbar is. That is huge, that there is no separate quicklaunch bar and the Internet was full of tricks how to bring the pre-7 functionality back. Windows 8 is not much different.

I do, however, think that closing the Modern UI apps only to the Windows App Store is a bad idea. I'd be okay with it on Windows RT devices, but all x86/x64 editions should allow "sideloading" of apps. The app store would be a source for certified apps only.

So I understand why Gabe Newell and others criticize Windows 8 so much and I agree with them. That doesn't make Windows 8 itself a bad OS, though.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo