Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

105. Re: Croteam on Windows 8 Issues Nov 18, 2012, 04:30 Mashiki Amiketo

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 03:18:
Want to know whats really grinding my gears with 8? Aero glass is gone. Every other moronic decision they made is fixable with programs except that. What they have instead is bland, boring and flat. It shouldn't bother me as much as it does since its purely visual but every time I look at the screen it just looks wrong. "Leave the option in? Nah, we don't do the "options" thing anymore."

Edit: This makes me feel better
Yep I gotta agree, I like areo. I like it quite a bit, I just finished upgrading my gaming machine to Win8(since I got a copy for free from work). So far, so good. Everything works, including stuff that "isn't supposed to be compatible" like warcraft 3 and WC3TFT. No 3rd party software required.

Still deciding on whether or not I'll use start8 or not, or try working around on this. We've got half a dozen machines at work that have win8 on them now so I need to get used to them, but they're all for development and for people to screw around on. Well as long as the company keeps the KMS server up, I don't really care.

Verno wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 03:46:
I suspect its related to tablets and power consumption though which again brings up the whole point of why do desktop users have to keep making concessions for tablets. I get that tablets are an emerging market but there are billions of PCs and laptops in the world, make that shit an option.
No man you're probably spot on with that. Areo sucks up a good chunk of GPU power, around 10-25% depending. Which makes it stupidly power hungry on tablets and phones. They should have left it as an option, but I expect someone will figure out a way to hack n'slash it in, in a few months that is if someone already hasn't done it. The other side is, it's also detrimental to gaming performance. You know that whole bit with the driver restart? So the driver would be a force-restart instead of a BSOD 99/100 times for the OS. From what I understand one of the reasons why that was done was because of areo and games.

But that's simply a driver issue, and effects both nvidia and ati. If they ever got their heads out of their asses, maybe they could write something that wouldn't crash when you alt-tab and the card ran out of memory while thrashing against the disk.

Oh and anyone looking for a sc2 spectre razer mouse? You can grab one cheaply from ncix's pre-blackfriday sale. linky here for $29(reg. $79)

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2012, 04:38.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo