Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

93. Re: Croteam on Windows 8 Issues Nov 18, 2012, 02:32 DukeFNukem

Verno wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 02:05:

I don't think that they needed to go that far but there's no reason that the operating system can't adapt itself to the device its running on. They already effectively do this for Windows Phone anyway. There's nothing inherently wrong with the idea of Metro Start and the Windows Store, they just suffer from design flaws and unnecessary restrictions.

There is no reason desktop users should be limited to two simultaneous Metro apps. There's no reason multimonitor users shouldn't be allowed to simply pin Metro start to a screen. Why are desktop users limited to preset resizing of Metro apps? People like Flood talk about the end user experience but don't seem to understand that one size does not fit all, Windows strength has traditionally been its adaptability after all.

A tablet and desktop interface are largely at odds with what they're trying to accomplish. A tablet is more of a consumption device with less input oriented tasks, display of information is constrained by smaller spaces and the hardware typically isn't very powerful and is more geared toward low power consumption so multitasking is sidelined. A desktop is practically the opposite in every regard, particularly when you get into multimonitor usage.

My easy fix to Windows 8 - fix the obvious design boo boos for desktop users and remove some of the Metro app restrictions. Allow users to sideload their own content if they wish, they can make it an unsupported flag that users have to manually enable if they want but just provide the option. This can be done, they do it already for Windows 8 Enterprise.

I think what you are missing in this whole problem with Windows 8 is that Microsoft doesn't care about your choices anymore. Windows 7 was about "choices" and "freedom". Windows 8 is about targeting the largest demographic so that Microsoft can sell the maximum number of Windows 8 licenses for the maximum amount of profit, through both their operating system and their app store. That demographic is largely, as you correctly stated, people who want to "consume" content.

You can't fix what's not broken. You wanna fix Windows 8? Done. Format C: and install Windows 7. Windows 8 fixed.

Just because you aren't afraid of something doesn't it mean it can't kill you...

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo