Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

78. Re: Croteam on Windows 8 Issues Nov 18, 2012, 00:34 Verno

Dades wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 00:11:
They could invalidate all of the concerns by letting people load their own apps. Why won't they let people do that? It does not compromise the integrity of their store and there is no reason other than potential lock in. I hear a lot of people willing to be optimistic here but not a single one of them has a decent answer for that.

Exactly. Is it really that unreasonable? Windows was built on being a relatively open ecosystem for application development, not so much like the open source movement but at least anyone can just start up with no costs or certs. Users can do what they want as it should be. People just want the same level of choice. I don't decry anyone who wants curated apps, whatever makes them happy and meets their needs. I just don't want their choices interfering with mine down the road and Microsoft could alleviate that by making their platform more like Android and less like Apple.

People like to paint all Windows 8 critics as Metro haters who just dislike change but the reality is that there are bigger things going on here that people are worried about. I think Microsoft knows where its bread is buttered and that desktop isn't going anywhere today but that doesn't mean they can't marginalize it and push the newer WinRT platform in a different direction to prepare for tomorrow.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo