Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

77. Re: Croteam on Windows 8 Issues Nov 18, 2012, 00:11 Dades

FloodAnxiety wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 21:17:
Game devs should not feel threatened by the windows 8 app store. They can still sell their desktop games the same way as they used to. They are only worried because if users start to gravitate to the app store they may stop purchasing desktop apps from other channels. If that does happen then that will only validate the direction they are going with the app store.

They could invalidate all of the concerns by letting people load their own apps. Why won't they let people do that? It does not compromise the integrity of their store and there is no reason other than potential lock in. I hear a lot of people willing to be optimistic here but not a single one of them has a decent answer for that.

The certification process is a necessary evil to ensure that end user gets a good quality experience from these apps.

No it isn't and it does not ensure one, see the many poor rated apps on any store.

As for the desktop experience in Windows 8; I don't miss the start button at all. Instead of having a roughly 50x50 hot spot for the mouse to click on, there is a 4x4 hot spot right in the corner. I know where the start button is, I don't need the wasted pixels on my taskbar to show the Windows Logo. Not that I use it much anyways, since the Windows key on the keyboard has always opened the start menu and still has the same function.

Hot corners are completely unintuitive, they have been attempted in user interfaces for decades and are a failed concept. It is no surprise they are one of the most maligned part of the metro experience. The start button is familiar and that's why microsoft has hijacked it for metro, a launching pad is something users need.

- The app can utilize more resources. All apps are required to properly support suspending and the possibility that the OS can terminate the app when it is not running. This means that an app store game can be a resource hog, and other open apps that are not running will get terminated if your app requires the resources used by that app.

Actually there are many, many restrictions on how apps can operate in WinRT including resource allocation. I'm also a bit incredulous that anyone would suggest app suspension is somehow a benefit to desktop users where power and resources aren't a large concern. There is some irony in that Windows gained its popularity for multitasking and is now in fact moving backwards in that regard. Metro apps also severely hamper display of information and interaction with multitasking due to the extremely low number of apps that can be run at the same time (2) and what sizes they can be shown in.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo