Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

56. Re: Croteam on Windows 8 Issues Nov 17, 2012, 20:45 Parallax Abstraction

Dades wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 20:24:
There's nothing speculative about it, they're commenting about the existing restrictions. It's all laid out in the store and certification guidelines. Their main concern is that if you don't want to use the store or microsoft refuses to accept your app for some reason, there is no other way to deliver a "Metro" app to users without running an enterprise version of Windows 8.

You are correct about that, I should have been clearer. The point I was addressing was the large number of people who are taking Metro's very existence as proof positive that the desktop is going to be gone soon and I just don't buy that. I don't care if Metro exists as long as anyone who doesn't want to use it can use the open desktop instead. PC gamers understand how to use the desktop, the likes of Croteam don't have to put their stuff on Metro to reach their intended audience.

As someone who works in corporate IT, I can tell you that if the desktop ever goes away, it will be a VERY long time before it does. As important as consumers are to Microsoft, corporate is their bread and butter and corporate will never adopt Metro as it is now. If Microsoft can't get corporate customers on board with an all-Metro Windows (and they'll be consulting with those customers extensively), it won't happen, I guarantee it. As sweet as a 30% cut of $0.99 apps are, Microsoft also makes a ton off those base license costs from Windows and they aren't going to risk driving their volume customers to Linux or worse, Apple. Believe me, I understand the concerns about Metro that people have but writing obituaries for the desktop is just ridiculous at this stage.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo