Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

55. Re: Croteam on Windows 8 Issues Nov 17, 2012, 20:38 Dev

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 20:08:
Anybody remember that article from the New Zealand security researcher that screamed how Windows Vista was full of DRM and was basically going to be an OS that Hollywood would be able to cripple at will and which would severely limit what you could do with it to support DRM? Yeah, remember how that also turned out to be complete bullshit and the guy was shoved into obscurity as a result? Panic without evidence is often unfounded.
Actually, a lot of that turned out to be correct. But with faster and faster CPUs, the extra processing didn't end up amounting to much. Also hollywood never really ended up turning on all the restrictions they could have. I think its because they didn't want to slow adoption of HD and bluray.
For instance, all that HDMI with HDCP stuff, and the broadcast flag thing, there were a few cases where the movie studios enabled that, but they never did it for everything.
Then there was the FCC sticking its oar in, court cases, congress trying to meddle, etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_flag

BTW, microstuttering with SLI/xfire is still a big deal years later (and one thats still incredibly difficult to track down, or even benchmark properly). Wouldn't surprise me if part of that might be due to overhead in the drivers from some of that crap. It also wouldn't surprise me if part of the crappiness with vista drivers (especially nvidia) came with poor handling of some of that overhead. Remember the graphs showing that a lot of blue screens and similar crashes in vista came down to drivers, especially nvidia graphics card drivers, in the early years of vista? Of course this is all pure speculation.

This comment was edited on Nov 17, 2012, 20:46.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo