Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

50. Re: Wow... Nov 17, 2012, 20:08 Parallax Abstraction

wtf_man wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 19:19:
Doombringer wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 19:10:
I'm seeing a lot of "gasp!" and "the sky is falling!" regarding Windows 8's "Metro" or RT apps...

I suppose it wouldn't be so shocking if Microsoft said "hey, it's like iOS. Get it?"

Because that's what it is. It's a walled garden. You can't install whatever you'd like on an iOS device, and yet, somehow Apple can't sell enough of them. People are eating them up. Did you think Microsoft *wasn't* going to want a piece of this?

IOS is not OSX.

Apple is not trying to put IOS on Macintosh Desktop computers.

What part of this are you not getting?

Sure, they have added some OPTIONAL IOS-like features to OSX (Mac app store, App launcher that looks like IOS launcher, and access to iCloud) But NONE of that is forced on you, like Metro is with Windows 8. OSX remains to be it's own Desktop OS.

Anyone who thinks this exact kind of thing isn't coming to OS X is kidding themselves. Microsoft may have done it first but make no mistake, Apple wants in on this too. They can wait longer because they have a monopoly on the hardware market for their platform and have managed to convince people to overpay for hardware because tons of people just own Macs because they're fashionable but they want their cut of app sales on every platform just like Microsoft does.

I don't run Windows 8 and don't know if I will but I still think a lot of the hype from the likes of Croteam and Valve is based on pure speculation and not evidence. Anybody remember that article from the New Zealand security researcher that screamed how Windows Vista was full of DRM and was basically going to be an OS that Hollywood would be able to cripple at will and which would severely limit what you could do with it to support DRM? Yeah, remember how that also turned out to be complete bullshit and the guy was shoved into obscurity as a result? Panic without evidence is often unfounded.

Not saying I like Microsoft's direction (which is squarely following something Apple started and has been practically considered heroic for) but I wager if Windows 8 isn't selling (I've seen lots of people saying this without one person linking to an article with actual cited sales data), they will re-evaluate their strategy. I hated Vista too death and so did everyone else but it was the fastest selling version of Windows for its game, though granted, that was before tablets and the Apple fashion trend. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Microsoft or Windows 8, though it probably sounds it. I'm just saying it might be worth laying off the panic until there's something worth panicing about, beyond what a guy like Newell says, who has a vested interest in making sure he controls the PC software market instead of Microsoft. If this gets worse in Windows 9, I'll happily switch to Linux, assuming it isn't still the massive nightmare that it is now.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo