Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

36. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 14, 2012, 09:36 Verno

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 01:26:
Yeah, that's all I was talking about - they appear in the Windows Store but they're not actually distributed through it. I'm not sure if you can actually buy x86-64 apps through the Windows Store though and even if you can there would be the 30% cut that Microsoft takes, so it's a disaster every way you look at it.

You can't buy them through the store. Microsoft is treating desktop apps as second class citizens and will do everything they can emphasize Metro apps and marginalize desktop apps precisely because they don't get 30%. Those are likely the real reasons. Either way, desktop apps and developers are not being treated equally and this is just the beginning of this new platform.

People wrongly take it for granted that the openness of the Win32/desktop will always be there. They also take functionality for granted, I doubt many people who seem to speak about Windows 8 in comical vagueness or simply to be contrary have really read the restrictions placed on WinRT apps. Some things we use now are simply not possible in WinRT without significant compromise and background processes are practically undoable. People say its alarmist to consider the long term prospects but it's just smart and prudent, there is plenty of precedent to consider. It's not even "long term" really, Microsoft wants to adopt more rapid releases instead of these multi-year gaps.

I hope Microsoft remembers their platform was built on compatibility, customization and choice. A firm commitment to the desktop instead of a grudging acceptance of legacy concerns would be nice and treating them equally in the store would partially send that message IMHO.

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 2012, 09:51.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo