Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 13, 2012, 14:10 Verno

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 13:44:
Windows 8 has plenty of worthwhile features on the desktop

Many of those features loosely relate to the desktop or are very tangential. Storage Spaces is half baked and has poor performance compared to any other form of software raid. A new version of WDDM is not a selling feature, that's a wikipedia bullet point. I haven't played much with the cloud stuff since its reliant on a Microsoft account but from what I could tell it's use was mostly related to metro apps. Many current UEFI implementations don't even properly support secure boot and secure boots actual security benefits remain to be seen.

That's just the "positives" too, there are more than a few negatives associated with Windows 8 as we've discussed in many previous threads. Anyways as I said already, Windows 8 shouldn't be reviled like WinME simply because it isn't a major change from Windows 7 in most respects. I think that's the biggest thing it has going for it, you can disable Metro on the desktop and treat it like a cheap copy of Windows 7. Any other minor improvements are just gravy. Now if they ever decide to disallow Win32/legacy then that would be WinME territory.

If Microsoft were to allow Metro apps to run in a window, make the taskbar always visible (even in the Start Screen), remove the hot-corners nonsense and give users more flexibility with the Start Screen then there's no reason Windows 9 couldn't be a success.

There are some puzzling decisions they really need to rectify for Windows 9 or whatever it will be called:

- Make Metro useful in multimonitor, pinning it to one screen without getting kicked back and forth which is jarring and ruins Tiles being legitimately useful

- Have some device detection and change the environment accordingly. There is no reason a desktop should be limited to two concurrent Metro apps

- Make desktops able to run Metro apps in a window as you said

- Allow the user to boot to the desktop without third party software

- Allow users to sideload Metro apps instead of forcing app distro through the store

- Resize Metro apps in a logical way instead of the retarded presets that shit on the benefits of large displays

- Allow desktop apps on the store

- More meaningful interaction between desktop and Metro apps

They now have one over on the competition; 1 OS for all platforms.

I actually do agree with that but there's no reason the OS shouldn't change behavior depending on what device its running. That's been part of Windows strength in the past, customization and incredible range of hardware/software you can use.

I don't think its so much that Start is wonderful/sacred to people as it is that the Metro desktop experience is just that mediocre and poorly realized. This is all talk related to the desktop experience, Metro on a tablet is a whole different story.

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 2012, 14:47.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo