Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

36. Re: Valve Confirms New Engine? Nov 12, 2012, 15:06 theyarecomingforyou

Beamer wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 13:40:
How would it work, though? Fewer enemies? What would you spend most of your time doing?
I'm talking about a complete paradigm shift. We're basically playing whack-a-mole with generic, faceless enemies and we've become trained to expect that. What I'm talking about is creating real characters, genuinely intelligent and with unpredictable (not random) behaviour. I'm not suggesting simply adding more health, as that's what developers do now with boss fights. I'm talking about creating environments that are truly compelling and where you don't need enemies to feel engaged - much like Mirror's Edge and Portal managed. I'm talking about real adversaries, not bullet-sponges that appear on screen for all of twenty seconds (if that).

When I brought up Amnesia I was highlighting what can be done without actually having enemies on screen. What I'm suggesting is combining that sort of atmosphere (not necessarily scary - just compelling to the player) with enemies that you engage with on a different emotional level. So you can shoot them and they'll collapse to the floor but they don't necessarily die. An enemy that can drop their gun after being knocked over and they have to scramble across the floor or tactically retreat. And I'm not merely suggesting keeping them protected from taking damage. I'm talking about a different emotional connection where you have to really think about whether to kill them, as there are lots of none lethal options - ones where you can choose to work with them, for instance. Why are we always playing the hero?

The stuff I'm talking about will take generations of evolution and revolution and it's not something that will just miraculously appear on the market. But the games we're playing now are one dimensional, even those that try to offer more like Dishonored or Deus Ex: Human Revolution. The point is to give players something to do and make games more than shooting galleries that you walk about in.

BobBob wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 14:34:
You should see this movie but don't read about it too much, to avoid spoilers: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0139809/
I'll check it out.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo