Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

25. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 12, 2012, 01:33 Fantaz

Orogogus wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 01:07:
Suppa7 wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 22:01:
Closed Betas wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 15:18:
somethings are better left as great memories in the back of my mind.. I think this will be one of them.

Descent 2 multiplayer has to be one of the top 10 gaming experiences of all time. There is nothing like fully 3D multiplayer battles in a contained space/arena like Descent.

The real problem is the guys behind descent had crappy game design skills and basically stumbled into success. Descent 3 ended up selling poorly because they had no idea what they were doing. Levels were too big, getting rid of mines was a bad idea because you could no longer pace the action properly.

The terrain system was a giant wash because weapons in descent were designed for small scale battles inside arenas, not for huge distance outside flying. So descent 3 ended up failing at retail. Not to mention FPS games have basically encapsulated vehicular shooters making them redundant, people want things like Halo and Just cause and GTA where you can just have a world and choose to be man with a gun or jump in a vehicle. Being restrained to vehicles would never wash with a modern audience of a large size I don't think.

Reality is descent was also newbie unfriendly, most FPS gamers got slaughtered because they can't handle true 3D movement. That's why first person shooters caught on - they were easier to control and jump into then descent.

Descent being fully 3D gave people motion sickness as well. So it had a few things going against it.

On top of all that, I feel the game favored people who had a joystick with a hat switch, which was never a huge majority of PC gamers. I'm sure there are people who did great with mouse and keyboard, but I dunno; the one guy in my dorm who had the fancy Logitech stick just kept slaughtering the rest of us.

My joysticks have hat switches! Seriously, I needed a reason to keep these because I was about to throw them away if there were no games I could play with them. The trick now is gonna be to find serial port legacy drivers or something to get them to work with Win7.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo