Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

17. Re: Star Citizen Multiplayer Details Nov 11, 2012, 22:10 ViRGE

Cutter wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 18:44:
ViRGE wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 18:16:
Julio wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 17:52:
I guess this means no personal servers to avoid paying microtransaction fees. Feeling better all the time about not funding this.
There will be personal servers. That has already been confirmed. Plus it wouldn't make any sense to release mod tools if they weren't going to offer that.

Where did it say that? I saw Sp with NPCs but nothing about private servers for you and your friends.
It has been in the FAQ since day one. The most relevant sections:

Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience.

Players will be given full control of their game! When operating private servers, players will be able and encouraged to mod the game. It doesn’t stop there, though: we hope to institute a ‘mod approval’ process that will allow the best of the best player created ships and other additions to be integrated into the central persistent world as well.

In summary:

Persistent World Servers: We host
Custom Servers: You host

Private servers would of course not be part of the persistent world. It's analogous to hosting your own shard. I think there's been some discussion on whether private servers would be allowed to download player stats from the public server, but private servers uploading would not be happening for obvious reasons.

Flatline wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 17:37:
I'm also not cool on this whole "not-real time" service the "servers" are going to be providing. That's an awful lot of trust to put into the client, and if this game is even remotely popular, you'll have hackers getting into it in no time and destroying the game.
I'm not quite sure where you're getting the idea that the clients are going to be trusted. This would be the traditional client-server architecture; the server controls all. The Galaxy Server handles the persistent world, and then delegates some tasks to an instance server when going into real-time combat. At no point are they implying that this is peer-to-peer or that clients are going to be trusted.

This comment was edited on Nov 11, 2012, 22:21.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo