Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

234. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2012, 22:44 Prez

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 22:21:
You know, this is most significant sign that the US government is more "European" than it used to be. I look at the "collation" governments in European parliaments and think what a pain it must be to have to cater to, at least in part, these small, outlying, politic parties who manage to get elected seats because you need to form a majority. The "effectively two party" system in the US avoids that. But the reality is that's no longer true. Both the Rs and Ds have members calling themselves Rs and Ds who really belong in some other small, outlying political party. But they can't get elected doing that, so they integrate themselves into the Rs and Ds. This is what Boenher, and to a lesser degree, the Ds are having to deal with.

What you said hits the nail on the head. My wife listens to conservative talk radio (don't hold that against her; she really is a great gal), and I hear how they verbally abuse anyone in the Republican party who even thinks of compromising to get a deal done. In truth I share a lot of the fiscal conservatism they preach. In reality, though, I understand that I am never going to get everything I want; concessions need to be made in order to make progress. Conservative talk radio hosts have the luxury of being pure ideologues; politicians have to be negotiators and compromisers if they are going to get anything done. The trouble is the radio ideologues can work their audiences up into a frenzy and get the compromisers and negotiators removed and replaced by more ideologues. They use the term "Rhino" Republicans" (Republicans In Name Only) to negatively brand anyone in the party who doesn't strictly adhere (and by 'strictly' I mean on absolutely 100% of the ideology) to the staunch conservative platform.

This is where the Democrats are simply KILLING the Republicans. The Democrats have room for everyone - there are dozens of conservative Democrats in the Legislature for example - while the Republican party is dominated by an exclusivity mentality that shuts out differing viewpoints. You really don't need to look any farther to figure out why they keep losing elections.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo