Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

20. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Client Nov 7, 2012, 14:33 2nd_floor

I think given that Valve and Gabe Newell have made complaints about Windows 8 being a closed eco-system, and that they want and favour an open eco-system for computers, gaming and business, AND that Valve has never done anything to support an open eco-system and any sort of open system, but rather control and manage people with their DRM closed systems, they owe it to people and Linux (the OS that their servers seem to run on!!) to be quite open. Releasing some or all source code to SOME of their products for example: engine, games, Steam, anything!!

They don't care about Linux for Linux's sake, they want power/control/money.

They are planning to use Linux to profit from with this Steam client/games, have been for many years with the Steam servers running Linux 24/7, without EVER having done anything to really help or promote Linux, and now they even complain when other people threaten to use DRM/control on them!!

Get real!! Damn free riders!

I think Steam is incredibly powerful, market share wise. Valve could have done huge things for Linux, years ago if they really wanted to! When Ubuntu was first released around 2005, Valve could have done Linux then and made a huge impact for it, but I guess Ubuntu was not good enough or exciting enough, they didn't care. They don't care for Linux. Look at what people and companies throughout the years have done quietly without complaining for Linux: *id*, S3, Loki, LGP, numerous other small, independent people. Valve is massive and could have done huge things for Linux, I mean truly for Linux!

Look at the awesome things that happen when you release source code. People do crazy things with it. Improve it, add awesome features, you name it! Steam can be a nightmare because you have to use it the way Valve wants you to! They can release the source code to Steam and maintain the DRM that it enforces. But they don't want to.

They want an open system to benefit them in their way, but not to be open them selves!! M-i-c-r-o-s-o-f-t!!! C-o-n-t-r-o-l!!! L-i-e-s!!!

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo