Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

136. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 10:30 Prez

PHJF wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 10:13:
US Federal Spending 2010

"around 70%"??? And note this does NOT include funding for stuff like Homeland Security or the VA.

Medicare and SS serve a practical purpose, for all their flaws. I'm at far greater risk of dying of cancer than of a bullet from a Chinaman (as are you).

I agree that the defense budget would be less painful to cut - the point I was inelegantly trying to make is that the defense budget isn't the key to fixing America's financial woes. We probably don't need to be spending near as much as we are in defense, true, but what worries me is how far people seem willing to slash it without considering the potential risks involved. The pie chart on the link you posted (which has different breakdowns from the one I read from this year, but because it was in a magazine let's go with yours) shows that defense is still smaller than both the Medicare/ Medicaid budget and Social Security, if only slightly.

Social Security is a huge drain on our budget that at least bears looking at. There are options that can be explored that could save a whole lot of money while still allowing us to keep our promises to our 'seasoned citizens' that were made long ago. But touching Social Security in DC is tantamount to political suicide - it is practically sacrosanct so no one is even willing to approach the subject because it would be career death. The main point is that with the country's finances in such a state of disarray I believe EVERYTHING needs to be on the table (including higher taxes) - With the understanding that we aren't just going to turn our backs on our elderly and sick, of course. But let's look where we can save some or make sure what we spend is spent more efficiently everywhere.

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2012, 10:38.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo