Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 5, 2012, 20:19 NewMaxx

Orogogus wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 16:56:
SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 12:29:
Doesn't really matter much. Publishers just auto ignore console piracy anyways.

If that were true then MS wouldn't be banning modded consoles. Otherwise they could still be collecting revenue from Xbox Live and DLC from those people. And I think Sony followed suit at some point, although I'm not sure if they still do.

He said publishers, which while true of Microsoft and Sony, would only apply to the games they publish. Microsoft bans modded consoles because it hurts their bottom line, it's hardly a simple matter of lost sales but lost licensing fees, goodwill, etc., on the old accounting spreadsheet. When third party publishing is your lifeblood, you tend to take other factors into consideration.

The publishers "ignore" it because they rely on the console maker and network provider (XBox Live) to provide the DRM, just like many PC publishers rely on Steam. Keep in mind this plays into the reality that consoles have SDK's and communication between developer and platform designer, which both lowers costs and decreases the need for PC-like DRM.

While it is true Sony is more aggressive, that's only because they are also a media company and brought out Blu-Ray. They're under even greater pressure to provide a tight ship. Video games on console, therefore, exist in a different type of ecosystem. It's like comparing a federation (the US, where states rely on the Federal for things like army protection) to a confederation (the EU, where each state fends for itself but under agreed rules).

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo