Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

18. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Nov 5, 2012, 16:16 Verno

shihonage wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 16:05:
I hate to tell people to learn to read on the Internet, it's so passe. Why do you make me do it...

My first post also referred to "the amount of DRM shit that constantly runs in background".

So learn to read.

The guy who quoted you was and that's who I was responding to. If you read my post then you would know I even said it was in response to the general complaint about DD clients using system resources.

We've come to know what Valve is and isn't capable of. They are probably the sanest game company to ever exist. And despite Steam not being a stellar piece of programming, it doesn't overreach, as it easily could. In the hands of a corrupt company, a product you let run in background could install browser toolbars, collect personal information, throw ads in your face, hog CPU time and bandwidth due to poor coding, you name it.

Everyone collects your information, Valve included. EA might sell it to marketers (I suspect Valve does too but who knows) but they are all collecting it and you don't know what they are doing with it. We give Valve more credit for their actions and behavior but most of the other DD clients aren't doing the things you mention outside of collecting info, something they all do, Valve included.

EA has not earned my trust.

That is an old and inaccurate article which was later debunked to be part of the installed games scan, you can trigger a similar response from Steam.

Let's be clear though, I don't particularly care for Origin, I think it's a half assed client from EA that doesn't even have feature parity with Steam. As soon as I'm finished with BF3 I will likely uninstall it as I don't even play many EA games anymore. I just don't see the problem in acknowledging the truth that Steam is as much of a "spyware" or "DRM" piece of software as the rest of them. It's a form of DRM that I can live with given its benefits.

This comment was edited on Nov 5, 2012, 16:23.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo