Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

2. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2012, 11:14 Verno

Article is more than a little disingenuous. The fundamental issue isn't that gamers won't pay for quality news, it's that gaming press made their business model directly dependent on publishers. The reason most movie and music reviews don't have the same problem is that they belong a larger company whose advertising revenue model is diversified. They also have the benefit of being able to name and shame companies who attempt to exert pressure or influence content using other outlets. Finally the traditional press typically bands together on things that threaten their ecosystem unlike the gaming press where the instinct is to keep quiet or side with the publisher.

Don't blame it on gamers, this is their shitty system that they evolved. It's easy to argue media consumption standards are at an all time low when it comes to the general public but that doesn't really solve anything. When I see quality reviews in a reputable source that can sustain itself even if it angers Ubisoft by giving Assassin's Creed III an 8 then I will throw money at that.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo