Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

49. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 31, 2012, 09:01 Verno

LC wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 16:13:
I've tried Ubuntu, Mint(Ubuntu), Sabayon(Gentoo) and the Mandrivia forks PCLinuxOS and Mageia 2. All these have a user friendly GUI package manager plus something like Synaptic and finally you have the terminal. Packages are broken down by category and you can search by keyword. When you select a package it automatically downloads and installs the package and any required dependencies. Installed packages are also removed through the Software Manager. I don't really see how it could be made any easier.

I don't think a package manager for free software is really comparable to people installing commercial software on the Windows platform. People would expect every dumb little "app" on the planet to have a Linux version. Besides, the Linux experience for your average user breaks down when they need to dig deeper than the surface. They have enough problems on Windows as it is.

I think this type of thing is great marketed towards dedicated enthusiasts but I'm not sure Valve will see the uptake they're hoping for, there are too many hurdles that can't be ignored. Maybe they're taking the long view and essentially building another platform though, who knows. They bucked trends with Steam and look where it got them so maybe I'm wrong.

OpenGL, Pulse Audio, OpenAL. I'm far from an expert but isn't the majority of the hardware support built into the Linux kernal?

Devs are used to (and even depend on) DirectX and UE for the overwhelming majority of commercial games released. Many already scorn PC versions, let alone adding porting costs to the project.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo