Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2012, 20:08 Prez

killer_roach wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 19:53:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 18:02:
Won't they be for hundreds of years?
You still can't safely be around Chernobyl for any good length of time - even though you can take a tour - you still should wear a suit and the tour is limited in time.

But yeah, even still the fish are likely to possess residual radiation levels above what would typically be considered "safe" for many years, possibly decades or centuries.

Unlikely I believe. The ocean has demonstrated remarkable dissemination and dilution properties, most often attributed to the chemical breakdown properties of the extreme concentration of salt. (EDIT: Also let me add that water is one of the best and safest moderators of nuclear reaction known to man and is used for that very purpose in nuclear reactor plants, which would further serve to limit the danger in the ocean from the Fukushima reactor incident). After the current generation of contaminated fish dies off, I find it doubtful that any trace radiation will be found at all. Continuous contamination of bodies of water generally requires ongoing introduction of radioactive materials over time. Nuclear plants dumping reactor waste water to rivers over years for example. That there is still contamination being found in the current generation of of fish isn't necessarily an indication that the reactors core is still leaking to the water.

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 2012, 20:26.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo