Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

46. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Oct 27, 2012, 01:25 Paranoid Jack

Creston wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 08:22:
Paranoid Jack wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 23:39:
Slashman wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 21:20:
If you ain't playin' on Ironman, then you ain't playin'!

I'd love to play Ironman but I'm worried the first time I lose a high ranking soldier to an alien shooting through full cover half way across the map I am going to scream so hard I'll have a brain aneurysm and fall over dead.

That only happens with any frequency on Classic and Impossible. It really just doesn't happen on Normal. They'll still make some crazy shots, but when they do you just giggle, because you know the alien had a 15% shot and took it, and made it. I sometimes do that myself because it'll be the only option left, and when I make it I just cackle with glee.

I don't mind the aliens trying the RNG and sometimes winning. What I mind in classic is that they just get a standard +40 to hit and +30 to critical. That's not a "difficulty level", that's a lazy developer's cheat.

Creston

I've been playing on Normal from the start and have been killed through full cover more than a dozen times. The one that was most outlandish was a shot length wise through a bread van (which is full cover) and side ways through a car (which is half cover) while my trooper was in full smoke. The kicker? The alien had no line of site even without the smoke. It was as if the AI was not seeing the van.

They added some kind of randomness on top of the to hit percentages. And that part of the calculation is just nuts. How else can a trooper standing one tile away miss an alien with a shotgun while having a 98% chance to hit. I know they want it to be hard like the original but even with the camera as it is its not hard to see when the alien has no LOS but has been given some crazy bonus to hit and literally can't miss even through full cover terrain that should block the shot. I hope they change the way the game handles those calculation in the sequel.

As far as my troops making the crazy shots... as they've leveled I have seen more shots ignoring LOS or just shooting through full cover. I rarely take any pleasure in the cheap shots because it just makes the game feel a bit off for me. Seems a lot of tactical games have issues with LOS. Maybe we will never play a game that is near perfect in that regard. Though I hate to give up hope.

Over all its not a huge problem for me. I'm still enjoying the game but wishing they would have made a few design choices a bit differently like relying more on good AI tactics to make the game a challenge and less on stacking the deck in favor of the aliens.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo