Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

26. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2012, 09:57 InBlack

PHJF wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 09:42:

I think the real myth is that games "journalism" ever existed in the first place.

Like I mentioned, Computer Gaming World was a great read. They fell victim to their own overhyping sometimes (read: Black & White, Doom 3) but the majority of the time the reviews and editorials were insightful, well written, and fun to read. Jeff Green in particular had a fantastic column entitled Greenspeak wherein he communicated his exploits as an aging gamer.

But being as this was a monthly rag, there was simply no way they could survive. People need to know everything and they need to know it NNOOOWWWW, and a month in "news" time may as well be ten years.

PC Gamer was THE magazine of choice in the 90's back when people actually READ print gaming magazines. They had pretty high reviewing standards and wouldnt bow to pressure.

I remember reading the Starcraft review. They gave it 76% I believe. By todays standards that would be impossible.

Its all about the publishers PR and AD money/revenue. The whole gaming 'journalism' industry if you will is being held to ransom by the big name publishers. Low scores, reviews are a big nono!

Long live corporate extortion. Play ball our way or dont play at all.

I have a nifty blue line!

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo