Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

14. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2012, 08:11 Creston

Cutter wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 20:50:
Most journalists - even the real professional ones - are only a slight step above vulture IMO. The games journalist has never been a real journalist, per se. Giving your opinion on a game is a long way off from Woodward and Bernstein blowing up Watergate on Nixon and pals. Seeing as we all know how advertising has driven "reviews" over the years why should any of this come as a surprise?

It doesn't, at least not to anyone who's been following gaming "journalism" for the past eight years or so. What's more troubling is that in the UK you can apparently not like something someone says, even if it's a direct quote, simply threaten a libel lawsuit, and get a (fairly major) site like Eurogamer to simply buckle and withdraw the "offending" content.

(Hey, British people, sit there and bitch about how fucked up the US is some more Rolleyes )

But I very much agree with your statement that gaming journalism is not journalism. At most it's glorified blogging. Fortunately, there are a few 'games journalists' still worth reading, and who will give you an unbiased opinion, but they are becoming a rare breed. The rest of them are just marketoids-for-hire. Most of them calls themselves freelance journalists. Well, they have the freelance part right. I'd say that the words "publisher cheerleader" would fit better than the word "journalist" though.

Anyway, Lauren Wainwright is a bitch (I'll forego using the more appropriate C word here), and is OBVIOUSLY a paid fucking shill. Her pathetic removal of Square Enix as an employer from her journalisted entry is just icing on the cake. What a moron.

And if you don't like me saying that, Lauren Wainwright, kindly go fuck yourself. Or whine to your PR buddies at Square about it.

Creston

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo