Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

24. Re: SimCity in March Oct 25, 2012, 19:12 Beamer

ASeven wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 17:45:
Beamer wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 17:35:
Bhruic wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 16:27:
Beamer wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 14:27:
Those are two separate issues. Including multiplayer and mandating always online aren't the same thing.

Sure, and there's a difference between having optional multiplayer and designing the game around multiplayer. If nothing else, C&C 4 demonstrated that effectively forcing multiplayer through design choices tends to result in a poorer single player experience. Considering EA's track record, I don't expect anything better here (sadly, as I enjoyed the previous SimCities).

Is this not optional multiplayer? I thought you could wall your city off, or connect with friends.

ASeven bitched about unnecessary multiplayer. I didn't say it was necessary to force online, I just said that SimCity lends itself to multiplayer in ways that can be very entertaining. I don't want to sit around bitching about them putting multiplayer in when I think that's actually a fun, innovative idea.

It's the way they're going about using it as an excuse for always-on that I take issue with. But if they rebuilt SC2K exactly, only allowing us to connect to and influence our friend's cities, I'd love it.

Because making Syndicate as a FPS was very innovative and fun for everyone! Oh wait.

I'll repeat it again, making SC multiplayer and forced at that is like trying to fit a square peg into a circle hole. It'll be as successful as Syndicate was as an FPS. SC is not a game about multiplayer much like Syndicate is not a game about being a FPS.

I have no clue what making Syndicate an FPS has to do with putting multiplayer into SC.

Did you think that American Revolt forced unnecessary multiplayer? I thought it took a single player game and added pretty sweet multiplayer.
How about CivNet? Was that forcing unnecessary multiplayer?

There's room in SimCity for multiplayer. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it unnecessary. I'll repeat: the teenage me would have killed for it in SC2K. I used to create cities with my friends. It was kind of lame, but it was the only option. We'd have to split areas and funds. We'd do the same with Civilization.
If someone had modded SC2K so that cities could talk and influence each other we would have been the happiest kids ever.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo