Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

50. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 25, 2012, 17:47 theyarecomingforyou

Verno wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 08:48:
I'd much rather take faster loading times on the games I do use than waiting an hour to play some game I might never play again anyway.
The thing is, load times on modern games are really pretty minimal once you bypass the mandatory intros. Games like XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Borderlands 2 and Dishonored load in seconds. Obviously an SSD would be much faster still but I consider it more important to be able to launch any game I choose, rather than having to constantly juggle games between drives.Especially when most games I'll play for the 8-30hrs it takes to complete them and probably not go back to them for years. I've only got 50GB free on my SSD and all my SATA ports are in use. Plus Valve only recently added the ability to install games to different locations - before it was a complicated process involving symlinks, which would have to be reconfigured each time one reinstalls Windows.

It's only possible to keep a handful of games on an SSD and to do that you have to constantly juggle games back and forwards. I use Steam because it is less hassle that traditional installs and I don't want to make lots more work for myself for minimal gain.

Grifter wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 13:34:
actually the problem was not megatextures technology that worked perfectly fine. The problem with his game was that he had to compress the textures to get them on to a format that people could actually realistically use.
That's not actually true. Carmack revealed that the source textures were no higher quality, hence why the high resolution texture pack he originally talked up was scrapped. Further, the issue with megatextures is that there is no detail texture when you get close - they only look good from afar and Carmack admitted optimising the game for consoles, which is 720p. The game was a trainwreck from conception.

MajorD wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 15:08:
But, but.....look, it runs at a silky smooth 60FPS on both PC and console platforms. Rolleyes
Exactly. Anyone can get a game to run at 60fps if they scrap demanding features like high resolution textures, dynamic lights and making objects that consist of more than 10 polygons.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo