Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

28. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Oct 24, 2012, 09:23 JSP

Tim Collins wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 08:15:
Maybe its just me but this game is tough as shit on normal. I jumped into this game on normal while having no clue what to do. Now that I totally get it and the patch came out, its still tough. Maybe its the game being easy but it always seems like everything starts crashin down on me. I don't wanna switch to easy mode, can anybody spit some tips on progression and decision making in the game.

Tim Collins, it is important to
Strategic
1. launch satellites at the end of month, aim for having at least five by June
2. sell all damaged alien hardware salvage from UFOs, sell alien cadavers with at most five in reserve
3. upgrade to full six members in squad as soon as possible
4. wait until the last moment of panic for one nation then do the first alien base raid, upon success it will cut panic by 2 or three across the globe
5. invest in firestorm and eventually plasma cannon for it - it one shots normal UFO scouts and even makes short work of battleship class
6. battleship ufo has alien artifact to construct blaster launcher, the most powerful weapon for heavies

Tactical
1. save often in tactical view and reload to not lose important member of squad
2. use SHIVs to counter psychic aliens and in terror missions
3. use overwatch a lot
4. at least have one support be the designate medic
5. Specialize assault to be the close combat veteran, usually one side of skill tree comprise of such abilities
6. lure enemies out, if they dig in, draw back and find another path around them while covering your rear
7. shooting % on first action point seems to be higher than if you move once to get in position
8. two snipers with higher upgrades definitely help, have at least one with double tap with squad sight
9. be very patient and advance each member in cover of each other
10. sectopods - sniper with disabling shot that nullifies its main cannon is useful
11. chrysalids - remember that they do not benefit from cover bonuses

I am by no means any expert, but I was able to beat normal with full satellite coverage and three psychics.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo