Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

6. Allowing desktop apps in the Windows store could be beneficial. Oct 15, 2012, 16:34 hb3d

Beamer wrote on Oct 15, 2012, 15:38:
I'm surprised you don't prefer that. It guarantees that the Windows Store is a very specific walled garden appealing to a very specific consumer and not designed to strangle the market in the way that people keep fearing.
The advantage of allowing desktop apps in Microsoft's store is that having another digital distributor in the marketplace for desktop applications and games could create competition that would benefit consumers. The downside is that if Microsoft's store became dominant it could kill competition that would hurt consumers by raising prices and/or limiting what types of desktop applications and games are developed for Windows to those that meet Microsoft's restrictions for its store.

Microsoft's Games for Windows Live Store has been so weak in the marketplace as a place to buy desktop games that I doubt Microsoft's new Windows store would gain dominance if it offered desktop applications and games.

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2012, 16:40.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo